Creating a Generation of Safe Thinkers
What is the H.E.R.O.Program?
The H.E.R.O. Program is: Simple, Research-based, and Comprehensive!
We provide the tools needed to teach kids how to be as safe as possible even in the event of an active shooting or violent event:
- Age-appropriate curriculum with interactive, non-threatening lesson plans based on original narratives
- Learning resources for school, home, and special education
- All-staff professional development with optional continuing education credits issued by Brandman University
- Rubrics and training records provided to lessen liability
- Schoolwide drill and scenario guide provide contextual application of learned skills
- Student accessibility guide for access and inclusion of all students
Why be a H.E.R.O.?
The H.E.R.O. Program is specifically designed to teach elementary and middle school children how to respond to life-threatening events with simple, easy-to-remember and truly effective strategies. Based on Empowerment Theory, the H.E.R.O. Program gives children the confidence to respond to any kind of danger, whether in school or at home. Unfortunately, children face many threats, including bullying, sexual predation, and abuse. The H.E.R.O. Program teaches kids to overcome any of these situations by empowering them and instilling confidence in their own decision-making abilities.
Teach The Lessons
The multidisciplinary / cross-curricular curriculum includes classroom discussions, journals, and physical activities to help children absorb the H.E.R.O. concept in a non-threatening manner in five easy lessons that can be repeated as needed. Your school can easily become a Safe Kids H.E.R.O. designated school.
Discover the Solution
For years, students have learned critical safety strategies in elementary and middle schools. Fire and disaster drills have become commonplace, along with catchy safety phrases such as, “Stop, Drop, and Roll” and “Stranger Danger.” Unfortunately, violence prevention hasn’t been taught in the same manner. The H.E.R.O. program is the solution that closes this “Circle of Safety.”
The H.E.R.O. Report
The H.E.R.O. Report is a monthly newsletter that summarizes critical incidents, safety ideas, and issues pertaining to child safety. The information provided is not intended to sensationalize school violence but rather is intended to analyze trends and stimulate thought.